The Henry Highland Garnet School in Upton
Baltimore City is simply full of interesting opportunities for motivated & visionary urban developers. The City is currently looking for development partners for three former schools and a historic mansion. The Baltimore City Department of Housing & Community Development has requests out for proposals for sites in Waverly, Coldspring & Upton.
Acting Mayor Bernard C. Young calls these properties a “taste of the attractive economic activity that awaits investors here. The time has come for revitalization of these sites and we are gearing up for more development opportunities throughout the city.”
Proposals on the above opportunities are due June 20. Developers are expected to meet neighborhood goals and historic preservation initiatives. The properties are:
Henry Highland Garnet School in Upton
The former Henry Highland Garnet School is located at 1315 Division Street in Upton. This school is a Baltimore City Landmark with prominent African Americans such as U.S. Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall on the alumni list.
The old structure caught fire in April 2016. It has 14,000 square feet of developable space on a lot of more than 30,000 square feet.
The Mercantile Building in Coldspring
The Mercantile Building at 4701 Yellowwood Avenue in Coldspring, was the former home of the Waldorf School of Baltimore. This is a 14,924 sq. ft. structure with 4 acres of green space, a pool, tennis courts and substantial parking.
The Upton Mansion
The Upton Mansion and its grounds are at 811 W. Lanvale Street in Upton. It’s considered a historic treasure and is registered as a local landmark within the Old West Baltimore National Register Historic District. It has 10,000 square feet of developable space on lot size of more than 35,000 square feet.
The mansion was the home of attorney David Stewart, who served a little more than month as a U.S. senator in 1849 and 1850, and later became the headquarters for Baltimore’s oldest radio station and the Baltimore Institute of Musical Arts, an African-American musical conservatory.
Former Waverly Middle School in Waverly
The former Waverly Middle School at 707 E. 34th Street in Waverly, which was replaced by the new Waverly Elementary-Middle School that opened in 2014. It has 40,000 Square feet of developable space on almost one acre of land.